Wednesday, March 14, 2012

The Power of Sugar

I recently attended a health conference in Long Beach where I was absolutely shocked to learn from one of the speakers that sugar is actually 4 times as addictive as cocaine.  What?  Four times more addictive than what!?!  I couldn't believe it but the proof literally is in the pudding.  With Diabetes escalating every day and waistlines ever expanding, it is not only clear in research experiments but also to the naked eye, that we have an addiction to sugar in the U.S.  

One of the quickest ways to get control of your weight and balance your body's blood sugar/insulin processes again is by cutting sugar out of your diet.  Even if you only eat "natural" sugars from fruit, honey, agave nectar, etc., you could be ingesting an enormous amount of sugar per day.  Now, I am not saying to cut sugar out of your diet forever.  Fruits definitely have some health benefits as does raw honey but by eliminating sugar from your diet for a short period of time, you let your body learn to regulate your blood sugar levels, get a better sense of when you're actually hungry, increase your immune system's ability to fight off illness and ward off Candida infections. 

Sugar is pervasive in our American diet.  All kinds of foods that you would not associate with sugar have been processed with this other "white powder." Did you know that taco seasoning and tomato sauce contain added sugars?  Can you see the hidden sugar in the picture above? In her step-by-step e-book, "I Quit Sugar," Sarah Wilson surprises herself by discovering how much sugar she actually consumed in a day.
A year ago, I quit sugar.  My health improved immediately.  Once you quit sugar, you don't crave sweets as much and when you do take a bite of dessert, a bite is all you actually need to feel satiated.  However, Valentine's Day was just a few weeks ago.  My husband wanted to be sweet and brought home a small tub of coconut macaroons for me.  It's really the only treat I can eat without having a reaction due to all of my food sensitivities.  It started out as one bite of one macaroon.  At first I thought they were too sweet.  I went back for another bite then another macaroon and then another. 

During the next few days, I was exhausted.  I started adding caffeine and more sugar to my diet to cope.  Within the week, my face had broken out with acne, I was severely dehydrated and I had a systemic Candida infection.  All of this from one bite of an ultra sugary macaroon.  Can you say addictive?  That's right, say it with me again - "4 times as addictive as cocaine!"  I was addicted.  And like most addictions, I had withdrawal symptoms for days after I decided to stop the sugar roller-coaster madness.  I've now been sugar-free for a week.  My acne and Candida have subsided, I'm able to sleep better and I'm full of energy.  Plus, I lost a few pounds off of the tummy tire I had acquired during my sugar binge.  

Well, I learned my lesson!  I'm not perfect.  I'm a Health Coach who fell prey to the siren call of sugar but at least I had the tools and knowledge to reign it back in quickly.  It's amazing the power sugar can have over your mind. Want to come out of your sugar fog?  Try my 30-day kick sugar program at The Healthy Plate

Have you ever quit sugar before?  Are you still sugar-free?  What were the results?  Join the discussion below.  I'd love to hear from you!

2 comments:

  1. So happy to find this post! I recently went sugar free, which was so hard for me. I have the ultimate sweet tooth. Though now I know it's because of yeast, not just a quirky personality thing :)

    I have a host of food sensitivities and was in complete denial of the effects of sugar on my body. According to the tests my body is tolerant of sugar cane. Well that gave me the green light to indulge.

    In the past couple weeks I have found the motivation and willpower to stay sugar free. What a difference it made! But alas, this past Friday was our dog's birthday. Somehow my two year old convinced me we should share a gluten free cupcake :) Maybe I could have shaken off the effects within a day, but that night I found myself making waffle with chocolate chips, bananas and maple syrup. Then today I order a large iced chai tea (with hemp milk).

    It has become SO clear to me that sugar is an extremely powerful and toxic ingredient. One little slip up and it has me wrapped around its pinky! I know I can get back on track, and I will. Those around me will just have to deal with some crankiness and stinky gas. My next step is to hang big signs all around my house that say "IF YOU EAT SUGAR YOUR FARTS WILL STINK AND YOU WILL LOSE FRIENDS!"

    Hoping by Wednesday I am lighter, happier, and stink free!

    Thanks for your inspiration,
    Jordyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jordyn,

      Thank you so much for sharing your story and joining the discussion! I was about to start putting signs in my fridge and cupboards saying, "Jen, Don't Eat Sugar" but I think your signs might be more effective. I think I'm going to completely rip off your idea now. Because, let's face it, ain't that the truth!?! In fact, I now have reminders on my phone beeping me to to remind me not to eat sugar while I continue my detox. Whatever will motivate us is the key - signs about stinky farts and all. It's easy to get caught in the web of sugar addiction. Best of luck to you as you kick the sugar habit!

      Warmly,

      Jen

      Holistic Health Coach
      The Healthy Plate
      www.thehealthyplate.org

      Delete