Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Yogurt: Rich, Creamy Goodness With A Probiotic Kick

granola_2.jpg

A few weeks ago, I purchased a yogurt maker.  Ever since I read, "French Women Don't Get Fat," I've wanted to make my own yogurt.  The author describes a method for making yogurt in a warm oven all night but I liked the idea of getting a yogurt maker that holds the temperature consistently.  So, I purchased the Euro Cuisine Yogurt Maker, 42 oz. of Raw Milk and a packet of yogurt starter.  You can also make homemade yogurt with organic, pasteurized milk.  All I had to do was heat the milk up to the correct temperature, add the packet of yogurt starter, pour the warm milk into the jars and let the yogurt maker do its job for the next few hours.  It only took 15 minutes to make the milk mixture. Easy peasy!

Fresh, homemade yogurt is unparalleled in taste and health benefits.  This rich, creamy concoction is a probiotic powerhouse to soothe your gut.  Many commercial yogurts have loads of sugar and additives to extend shelf life.  Yogurt made at home, where you control the ingredients is delicious and pure and it doesn't take much work at all.  Why don't you give it a try? 

*A note on raw milk - I never imagined I'd ever drink raw milk.  Many years ago, for a short period of time, I moved to an area surrounded by farms and became active in the Slow Food movement.  At one of our meetings at a dairy farm, the farmer brought out raw milk for us to try.  I was hesitant but to be polite, I tried it.  Wow!  It blew me away.  It was like no milk I had ever tasted.  As I drank it, I felt my body being nourished and I didn't have any of the tummy troubles I've often had with commercial dairy.  For that reason, when I do have dairy, I try to get raw milk cheeses and yogurts.  In California, we are lucky to be able to purchase raw milk at several groceries.  I prefer Claravale Farms Raw Milk but there are many other delicious brands.  There is even a Raw Milk Challenge going on at The Healthy Home Economist.  Give raw milk a try....you might be surprised. 

Who out there has made homemade yogurt?  Which type of milk do you prefer?  Join the discussion!

No comments:

Post a Comment