Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Sarafina's Story

Over the next few months, I'll be sharing client stories from time to time about their health challenges and experiences working with The Healthy Plate.  My first featured client is actress, model and owner of Art of Pilates, Sarafina King.  Here's her story....


A little about me and WHY in the world I’d want to give up Sugar!!! The reaction from most is: You’re in great shape, you work out, and you eat healthy (really for the average American I do eat SUPER healthy), Why would I want to do this….

Reason number 1 - I do eat healthy, and workout… A LOT.  But I find myself with a little gut. Great arms, great legs, and a little belly. I have no excuses or answers  for my belly, I don’t drink, I’m gluten free, I’ve never had a baby… there’s no reason for the fat around the middle.  I was stumped. 

Reason number 2 – I am an actress and fitness model. Being under the scrutiny of people on a daily basis is all par for the course in what I’m trying to do. I was fine with the rejection and brutal honesty up until a few days ago when someone told me, “You’re face is horrible (acne), if you think you’re going to work in this town what THAT skin, you’ve got another thing coming” And to be honest my skin is not really that bad. I have flare ups like everyone else, but it is something that I have struggled with as an adult.

Reason number 3 – I’ve tried EVERYTHING else, I was Vegan, Vegetarian, I AM gluten free.  I had always been a sweets after I eat person, but it wasn’t until I went gluten free that my addiction to sugar grew. Most gluten free foods are pumped with sugar to make them taste better.  Little did I know that although my stomach felt better without the gluten it grew with the added sugar.

Alas – I was venting one day to a client, (insert Jen), who is an amazing Organic Chef, Holistic Health Coach and most importantly a great friend.  Over the years she’s listened to my ups and downs, my woes, and knew what I ate, where my struggles were etc.  I asked her if she could help me fine tune what is going on with my diet. And that’s where the Sugar Detox began.   

Jen has been amazing from the meal plan she’s given me, the knowledge, the patience (I’m not a great cook) and I don’t efficiently know my way around a grocery store either.  I’m on day 2, technically 1.5. I’ve already sent numerous emails with questions, cravings, overall support and she promptly responds and has the BEST suggestions for ME. Not some generic “eat these snacks” kind of response.   Something that I realistically LIKE to eat.  I feel fantastic, the food tastes AMAZING, so far so good… yes I know it’s day 2… Let’s see how I like it day 5 :)
 
Keep you posted,
Sarafina 

***As Sarafina mentioned, I have actually been a client of hers for years.  She helped me get in shape for my wedding, during my pregnancy and now post-baby.  If you're in the Los Angeles area and are looking for a Pilates trainer who customizes workouts to your needs, send her an email.  For more information on her services, check out the links below.



What are your reasons for quitting sugar?  Did you kick the habit or are you still facing challenges?  Share with us!

No comments:

Post a Comment